|Dave Lefkow & Justin Esch|
Our ZINO Society featured ZINOpreneur Members this week are Dave Lefkow and Justin Esch, Bacontrepreneurs for J&D’s Foods, Inc. Dave and Justin presented their company at the ZINO Society ZINO Marketplace Investment Forum featuring consumer products and services in November, 2010. J&D’s Foods was selected as a fund finalist and ultimately as the fund winner! We asked Dave and Justin to share the answers to a few questions about their company.
- What is your one-sentence elevator pitch? . . . J&D’s Foods delivers flavors people LOVE in new and innovative ways.
- How did you come up with the idea for your company? . . . Bacon Salt, our first product, was inspired by a drink called a Mitch Morgan, which is a shot of bourbon with a bacon garnish. Seeing that served in a popular bar in Colorado made us realize that the world needed a seasoning that made everything taste like bacon.
- The word that best describes your company culture is . . . Unique!
- How are you different from your competition? . . . We have delicious and innovative products, we’re incredibly hard-working (there are currently only 4 of us) and nimble (we can launch a new product for under $1,000), and have perhaps the most cost-efficient, highly effective marketing strategy in the food industry.
- What is the biggest challenge you face? . . . Not having enough capital to continue our aggressive rate of growth.
- How much money have you raised to date? . . . $985,000
- If someone gave your company $3 million tomorrow, how would you use the money? . . . We would continue with our strategy to expand the distribution of our fastest turning items, add staff to keep up with demand and push the pace of sales.
- What is the oddest or most unusual thing about your company? . . . Our guerilla marketing tactics, which included a unique launch party for Baconnaise, during which we wrestled a giant strip of bacon vs. a giant jar of mayonnaise in 6,000 lbs of mayonnaise (for charity of course). Our Giant Bacon mascot continues to be one of our most effective promotions.
|Dave Lefkow, “Bacon”, Justin Esch with ZINO check.|
Last but not least, we have a LOT of fun doing what we do, and when you do what you love, you have great opportunities to be successful.